P-R-I-O-R-I-T-I-E-S 5: Encourage & Surrender
by Pastor Davis on February 02, 2014
We come to the end of our study on Stewardship. I hope this study has caused each of us to reflect on the sobering reality of someday answering to God for how we have used the resources available to us. Main Theme: The highest goal for every believer is to use the limited resources to serve God, others and glorify His name.
In reflecting on stewardship from the big picture, my mind was drawn to what each of us can do to make the world around us a better place. It is a summary statement on what we should focus our time, talents, and resources on to make a difference. Let’s look at it together:
E______________. Our word comes from a specific example that Paul gives us of the level of compassion he demonstrated to encourage a group of believers. Encouraging those around us should be one of the highest priorities we have! Note 6 proofs of encouragement:
- He __________________for them. “We give thanks to God always for you all…” (1 Thess.1:2a) This sounds like such a simple way to show encouragement to those around us! Paul also conveyed the same kind of encouragement to the churches at Rome and Ephesus, and to a believer named Philemon.
- He ___________for them. “…making mention of you in our prayers.” (1 Thess.1:2b) One of the surest ways I know to grow a healthy love for someone else is to pray regularly for their needs!
- He _____________________with them. “…we were bold in our God to speak unto you the gospel of God …” (1 Thess.2:2) The gospel literally means “the good message or good news” of what God wants to accomplish in people through Jesus.
- He was ___________________________________toward them. “But we were gentle among you, even as a nurse cherisheth her children: So being affectionately desirous of you, we were willing to have imparted unto you, not the gospel of God only, but also our own souls, because ye were dear unto us.” (1 Thess.2:7-8)
- He ____________________for them. “For ye remember, brethren, our labour and travail: for labouring night and day, because we would not be chargeable unto any of you…” (1 Thess.2:9) “People don’t care how much you know until they know how much you care.”
- He _______________________________ before them. “Ye are witnesses, and God also, how holily and justly and unblameably we behaved ourselves among you that believe.” (1 Thess.2:10) Living a clear testimony before others is one of our highest priorities!
Surrender. The final letter in this acrostic is the most important! It calls us to view our lives from God’s perspective and give ourselves to what matters most to Him.